Wednesday, March 7, 2012

The Doctor's Visit

The Doctors Office

One day while I was waiting
To see the doctor around noon
I noticed an elderly man
As he slowly walked across the room

He seemed in a hurry not in movement
But his words...although kind
Simply asked if he could see the doctor next
If the nurse would not mind

She offered the man no hope
“The Doctor is busy today”
So he said thank you
And sat down in dismay

“Are you late for another appointment?”
I asked, “Are you ill?”
He smiled kindly...”No...”
But I have an important date...still”

He went on to say...”everyday at the same time”
“I meet my wife for lunch”
“She was never much for breakfast”
“And doesn’t care for brunch”

“Well...surely she will understand” I added
With a smile
He began, “no, not likely she hasn’t”
“Been herself in awhile”

He patted my young hand
And says, “For 50 years”
“She has been my lunch date”
“And I can’t stop here”

But its only one day, I exclaimed
As he patiently sat in wait
“Yes, but the last 15 have been a
Nursing home date”

“She is very ill...Alzheimer’s they say”
“She doesn’t even know my name”
“I doubt she would even miss me”
And I cried...”isn’t that a shame”

Then I added without thought
“If she doesn’t even know who you may be
Why go everyday and sit
And he smiled and said...”you see”

“Even if she doesn’t know me”
“I know who she is in my life”
“She’s been the answer to my prayers”
“My friend...my love...my wife”

“So if I must spend everyday”
“That God has given me left”
“To remind her how I love her”
“And how my life has been so blessed”

“I would give up all my possessions”
“I would lay down my last breath”
“I would follow her to the ends of the earth”
“I would follow her into death”

“It is my job to remind her that”
“She is my one and only queen”
And as a tear rolled down my cheek, I said
...”Nurse...this man needs to be seen”

For never in my years had I felt
A love that was so tender...so deep
As the day in the doctors office
When my heart rolled down my cheek



No comments:

Post a Comment